Sunday, October 25, 2009

Eva Berger 1927 - 2009

My mom died last week on Thanksgiving Monday, Oct 12. She was 82. "That's young" says a 101-year old aunt. I think she was just tired of fighting. It's been 5 years since my dad died, and despite the joy of a new grandson, her heart was still with him. They met in Poland in May of 1945 at the end of the war. My dad, with false papers giving his name as "Josef Boguslawska" served in the Polish army. My mom's false passport gave her name as "Sofia Pokora" a Roman Catholic, which enabled her to work as an au pair. He thought my mom was the last Jewish girl left in the world. They married in October of 1945 and were together til his death in 2004.
That's where my summer went, driving back and forth to Winnipeg. My house is full of stuff I need to sort through and do stuff to before I can put it somewhere. My head is full of stuff that needs time to go through it. *sigh*
Art. Art is panacea and consolation and escape. Trading cards, yes, but painting, too, even if I have hit a snag in my Iris watercolour (i.e. don't like the way the centre flower works). Solution? Fix it!
I'm in the mentorship program in Carfac for a year and I love it. Suddenly there is a target for the future and new vistas have opened up. Something to do with my time.
Rest in peace, mom & dad. I love you very much.

No comments: